No new progress pics to post…so I thought I would share an idea board in progress. These will probably evolve, but here some info in some of these items.
The chiasso.com mirror is listed at 388, but every so often they have a 20% off sale. Which brings it down to 300! The copper glass mosaic tile are from Lowes. Here’s the really great news…they are only 7.99 a sheet!!! Wow! I found the vintage chair with a “free” sign on it last week. I have almost 20 vintage cameras and probably over 2000 LPs. We were thinking of having a chair-and-a-half in lieu of a sofa and maybe a leather club chair which I’ve always loved. Probably not in red though…well, this is still evolving. Hope you like!
Livingroom Idea Board... In progress
We have added a project tab to the menus…Click PROJECTS above, or follow this link
-Jerry & Dana
For those that know me well, you know I have a love-hate relationship with cats. I just really never understood the value they bring to the table. For Pete’s sake, they are synonymous with the term, “finicky”. Humans have managed to train parrots to talk, elephants to bow, dolphins to molest you at water parks, but good luck asking a cat to put on a collar and walk with you down the street for some fresh air!!!
So as my luck goes, there are so many darn cats in my new neighborhood, that an entire non-profit needed to be established! They are called Thirteenth Street Cats, 13stcats.org. I did some quick math using the numbers they have supplied on their website and for the last 3 years, not counting 2011 so far, they have spayed/neutered over 1121 cats in this neighborhood. WHAT THE??? Is that even possible??? I have already had a surprise encounter with a cat in our detached garage that jumped out of a cabinet and shot past my leg in the dark, so I know they are out there…waiting….talking about me in their cat language. Plus, these felines are street-savvy, nothing like the smooth talking Morris!!!
So I just thought that I would bring this to everyone’s attention. And for those that know me well, enjoy the laugh at my expense. And for those that think I’m cat-bashing, all I have to say is my best friend is a cat. (pictured below)
To our friends and family coming out this Saturday, here’s what we have planned. All skill levels welcome!
Easy skill projects
- Dig up plants and plant them in temporary containers to re-plant at a later time. There are tons of really great plants we want to keep, there are just too many in some condensed areas. After we paint and reconfigure the plant beds, we want to plant these back.
- Centralize bricks and stones – The previous homeowner, who lived here for 70+ years had accumulated bricks everywhere. I would like to get them to the backyard and use them for a brick paver area in the back.
- Strip & Paint windows- All of the wooden windows have peeling paint. I want to strip them back down to wood and fill in cracks, then prime them for paint later.
- Cut down several small trees
- Remove old wires and antennas on house
Medium Skill Projects
- Remove kitchen cabinets – I want to salvage the vintage kitchen cabinets and restore them later so that someone can enjoy them later down the road. This requires some skill because I do not want to destroy them when removing them from the wall.
- Remove base boards and picture rails from wall
- Remove existing light fixtures – I have 3 vintage light fixtures that I want to salvage.
- Remove partition in garage
Highly skilled Projects
- Remove entire wall between kitchen and living room – A new wall with a large arched transition will be constructed after.
- Remove entire wall between kitchen and breakfast nook and laundry area – This will add an additional 5 feet of kitchen space across the entire kitchen
- Demo kitchen wall where sink is – A new sink, copper supply lines and pvc drain will be installed in lieu of outdated materials
This should keep us plenty busy for the next few weekends…
Love, Peace & Elbow Grease,
-Dana & Jerry
I would like to make a correction for all of those that emailed me back, insinuating that I’m trying to make this blog about me because I named this blog, THE SPANISH CHARMER. Furthermore, I am a very humble and down-to-earth guy. I hope this straightens everything out.
The Latin Charmer 🙂
PS, here’s a view from the inside of the front room. Someone really liked the color pink before. Demolition & renovations begin this Saturday. We can’t wait!!!
Our livingroom before renovations (hey, nice car in background!)
We just bought a house!!! Its a 1938 Spanish Bungalow with tons of potential and even more things to fix. You can follow all of our progress as we bring this little Spanish Charmer back to life! – https://thespanishcharmer.wordpress.com
The Spanish Charmer in all its humble glory