The dark times are starting to turn. Its official, the last green wall is now gone. Yesterday marked our first week of home ownership and we are on pace to, well…not sure what we are on pace to do, but we are really blowing it out of the water. Eight hour work days followed by a solid 3-4 hour work on the house every day can really get things done in a hurry.
Here’s a look of the before & after of the final green wall…
Today’s plaster removal ended with the slow, deliberate removal of a plaster-covered brick stack. The entire wall will be eventually removed and be an open archway. We’ll clean up the stack and leave it exposed for a splash of color.
Back to work, then more renovation.
Just wanted to post these pics of the old knobs and push-buttons from the old General Electric range sitting in our demolished kitchen. With all of the lathe & plaster removed, its the only remnant of the vintage kitchen left…
So with the kitchen makeover in process, we are now trying to figure out how the final product will look like. Here’s some of our inspiration….
Looks like we got our work cut out for us…
-Dana & Jerry
We have added a project tab to the menus…Click PROJECTS above, or follow this link
-Jerry & Dana
To our friends and family coming out this Saturday, here’s what we have planned. All skill levels welcome!
Easy skill projects
- Dig up plants and plant them in temporary containers to re-plant at a later time. There are tons of really great plants we want to keep, there are just too many in some condensed areas. After we paint and reconfigure the plant beds, we want to plant these back.
- Centralize bricks and stones – The previous homeowner, who lived here for 70+ years had accumulated bricks everywhere. I would like to get them to the backyard and use them for a brick paver area in the back.
- Strip & Paint windows- All of the wooden windows have peeling paint. I want to strip them back down to wood and fill in cracks, then prime them for paint later.
- Cut down several small trees
- Remove old wires and antennas on house
Medium Skill Projects
- Remove kitchen cabinets – I want to salvage the vintage kitchen cabinets and restore them later so that someone can enjoy them later down the road. This requires some skill because I do not want to destroy them when removing them from the wall.
- Remove base boards and picture rails from wall
- Remove existing light fixtures – I have 3 vintage light fixtures that I want to salvage.
- Remove partition in garage
Highly skilled Projects
- Remove entire wall between kitchen and living room – A new wall with a large arched transition will be constructed after.
- Remove entire wall between kitchen and breakfast nook and laundry area – This will add an additional 5 feet of kitchen space across the entire kitchen
- Demo kitchen wall where sink is – A new sink, copper supply lines and pvc drain will be installed in lieu of outdated materials
This should keep us plenty busy for the next few weekends…
Love, Peace & Elbow Grease,
-Dana & Jerry